Friday, April 30, 2010

Recipe: My Favorite Chocolate Dip

My Favorite Chocolate Dip

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (7 ounce) container marshmallow creme
1/4 cup chocolate syrup

In medium bowl, combine all ingredients.  Mix well using an electric mixer.  Serve immediately with fruit, cubed angel food cake, cubed pound cake, cookies and/or crackers.

Recipe can be found on page 21 in 
MY KIND OF COOKING COOKBOOK

When I was growing up my mom always had a can of Hersey's Chocolate Syrup in the refrigerator.  My sister and I put that chocolate sauce on almost everything.  We put it in milk, on ice cream, poured it over popcorn, and I am sure some other ways that would make you go yuck! 

Have you ever started to make a recipe only to get halfway through it and realize you are missing an ingredient? That's happened to me when we had the youth group at our church coming to our house to watch a movie.  Teenagers are always hungry, I had a lot of fruit in the refrigerator that I needed to use up, so I planned to make my Pineapple Fruit Dip.  When I realized I didn't have the pineapple needed to make the dip, and I didn't have time to go to the store, I began to look around my kitchen for a substitute.  Like mother, like daughter, I opened my refrigerator and spotted the chocolate syrup.  The chocolate was a perfect substitution.  Everyone loved it!  Even my husband, who is not a big chocolate fan.

Since that day I have served this recipe as an appetizer and as a dessert.  The chocolate flavor is not overpowering, just light and creamy.  







16 comments:

  1. lovely coloured dip.. its easy too.. cant wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious! I like that it is a mild chocolate flavor. Bet it is great and the kids were happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be trying this one this weekend! Having people over to help install a new sliding door! So I will test it out on company!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got so excited when I first saw this and then I saw chocolate syrup and marshmallow creme. I don't think we have this in either the UK or France but I must see if I can find a substitute. It sounds wonderful. Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck on trying to find a substitute. Maybe you could try some chocolate fudge topping like the kind you would use on your ice cream instead of the chocolate syrup. Please let me know if you find something that works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds delicious, and I love strawberries - oh yeah, and chocolate.
    Your post on storing produce is very helpful. I had never heard of preparing the asparagus for storing. Thanks.
    Tried your recipe for salmon and asparagus. It was wonderful and no cooking pan to clean up - my style. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mya! Your comments are always so encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds delicious and Oh so so creamy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW... I've looked at lots of dip recipes for fruit. But this one really looks divine. It has a wonderful, whipped appearance.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you very much for the kind words. Let me know how the pancakes turn out. Do not forget the chocolate...Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUM! That looks like the perfect compliment to fruit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Now THAT'S a good way to get the husband to eat his fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  13. shelley goldwichMay 7, 2010 at 6:29 AM

    This is such a good after school snack for the kids while the kids are doing there home work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. YUM!!! My husband will LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Carrian! I think your husband will love it too!

    ReplyDelete