Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tip: Pork-The Other White Meat


Did you know, a serving size portion of pork tenderloin is as lean as a skinless chicken breast?  When looking for the leanest cut of pork, choose a cut that has "loin" on the label.

Pork is often over cooked.  Use a meat thermometer to test the temperature of the pork while it is cooking.  The thermometer should be inserted into the thickest part of the pork.  If the cut of pork you are cooking has a bone, make sure the thermometer is not touching it.  According to the Pork Council, you should cook the pork until the temperature reaches 160 degrees and is a little pink on the inside.


When I was at the Iowa State Fair last year, I had an opportunity to interact with representatives of the Pork Council. Anytime I get a chance to pick the brains of those who are experts in their field I do it. In the course of our conversation, they communicated the fact that pork is really at it's prime when it's slightly pink in the middle. I questioned them about the safety of eating pork that is pink in the middle. They said, "Unlike chicken, it was perfectly safe to eat pork that way." The key again is the 160 degree cooking temperature of the pork. Since they are the experts, (like mom) I feel confident in passing this tip on to you.

I grew up in the Midwest.  Maybe it was just my family, but we ate a lot of pork.  I've had pork cooked almost every way possible.  My mom liked to swap pork for chicken to change a recipe up.  By doing that you can change an old standby recipe into something new and exciting!  On Friday I will be posting my simple and tasty Pork Chop Casserole.












14 comments:

  1. Thats a beautiful click linda..have a nice day,take care

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've always eaten a lot of pork and yes, it's great with the calorie count. I love beef very rare but, still can not eat pork that is not thoroughly cooked, no pink. Looking forward to your pork chop casserole!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love me some pork! But "a little pink on the inside?" No thank you! Pink and pork don't go together at my house! Juicy, yes. Pink, no.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I was at the Iowa State Fair, I meet with representatives of the Pork Council. Anytime I get a chance to pick the brain of an expert I do it. They said it was recommended for the pork to be only slightly pink in the middle. I questioned them about the safety of eating pork that is pink in the middle. They said unlike chicken it was perfectly safe to eat it that way. And since they are the pork experts, that is what I have posted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's good to know. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I hope you didn't think I was arguing with you. I'm sure your information is completely accurate. I just don't happen to like my pork pink is all! :-)

    Looking forward to the pork chop casserole recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for taking the time to share some good pork advice with your fellow foodies. I appreciate the gentle reminder about the versatility and delicious flavor of pork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My pork always comes out a little dry so that tip about the pink pork is going to make a world of difference!!! Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh heavens no David! I am with you, I don't like my pork pink in the middle. That is why I questioned the pork people.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have stayed away from pork because it always was so dry. Ina Garten in her cookbook. Back to Basics, says that guidelines for cooking meats are outdated. She says to cook pork until 138 degrees, then let rest and it slowly creeps up to about 160 and stays pink. I have been doing this and am very happy with the results. The pork is much juicier and more tender.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That would work! Trichinosis are pretty much nonexistent in pork now, but if they were present, cooking the pork to 137 degrees would kill it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! We eat a lot of pork, too. Roasting is by far my favorite way to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pork loin and yes I agree. It must be little pink to be nice and juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hopped by here,to thank u dear Linda for following my blog,but am gng back[ofcrz i'll be back], with a treasure of recipes, and an amazing blog, u have some really wonderful cook books too and i am enjoying this blog so so muc:-))
    Cheers and have a super sparkly wonderful day babes:-)))

    ReplyDelete