Friday, June 15, 2012

Malva Pudding Recipe From South Africa

Malva Pudding

2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 eggs, beaten
2 cups cake flour, sifted
2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 plus 1 tablespoons milk
pinch of salt
2 tablespoon apricot jelly
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In large bowl, cream butter and sugar. 


Add eggs. Mix well. 


Fold in cake flour.  


In small bowl, combine baking soda and milk.  Add baking soda mixture and remaining ingredients to flour mixture.  Mix well.


Pour into a greased 13x9 inch baking pan. Bake 40 minutes. 


Pour Malva Pudding Sauce over top of baked cake(recipe below).


Malva Pudding Sauce

1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
2 cups sugar
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla

In large saucepan, combine evaporated milk, sugar, and warm water. Bring to a boil over medium high heat, stirring constantly. 


Remove from heat.  Add butter and vanilla.  Mix until the butter has melted.  Pour over Malva Pudding cake.


 Serve the Malva Pudding with ice cream or the Almost Custard Sauce below.


Almost Custard Sauce

1(6 1/2 cup servings) box vanilla cook and serve pudding and pie filling
3 1/2 cups milk

Prepare according to package direction, using 3 1/2 cups of milk instead of the 3 cups of milk called for on the box.  Cool to room temperature.  Pour pudding over top of Malva Pudding.


This is my husband's new favorite dessert.  We have been to South Africa several times, and this is the first time we had this Malva Pudding.  It was love at first bite for my husband.  He tested this new love by have the Malva Pudding several more times just to be sure. 

In South Africa, they serve the Malva Pudding with custard that comes in a box.  My husband loved the custard in a box, but unfortunately I can not find it in the stores here in my little town in New Mexico.



Check back on Tuesday, 
for a tip about cake flour!


Visit my friends blogs!

You will love Bo and his blog,  Bo's Bowl.  Not only does he host great giveaways,  his recipes are incredible!  One visit to his blog and you will see why I faithfully follow it.

Also visit my friend Pam's blog, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner,  for more great recipes!  Once you read her blog, she will be your friend too!

14 comments:

  1. When it comes to these British style desserts, I
    never know the difference between a cake and a pudding, but this sounds good. I am lucky and can easily get a bunch of products from the UK here, but they are still very expensive. So I love the idea of using the pudding mix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a British dessert at all, I am South Afircan born and this a classic Afrikaans dessert

      Delete
  2. You are so fortunate that you have access to international ingredients! If my local grocery store doesn't carry a product, my only option is to purchase it on line or find a substitution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Malva pudding was closer to Cape Brandy pudding than this but I see I am wrong!! Looks delicious though. Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was the first time I had Malva Pudding. We usually have Melk Tart.

      Delete
  4. I'm with Bo and never have figure out the difference either, with a pudding and a cake. You always hear about plum pudding at Christmas, but I'm not sure if it's a little soft and mushy or what. We have those products here in this tiny town--a great ethnic mix of people in Chicagoland, but I've never bought them and tried them. You stated how much your hubby likes this, what about you, Linda? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked it too! You are so lucky to have access to so many ingredients! My understanding of the difference between a pudding and a cake is, a pudding is eaten warm with some kind of custard and a cake has frosting. My son lived in England for six months and that is what he was told by some locals.

      Delete
  5. oooOOOooo. I love cakes that have a good sticky top and this one looks extra good with the sauce!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy! I love cakes with a good sticky top and this one looks extra tasty with the sauce. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pudding, it's so easy to make and no-one makes it any more (except me - LOL)!!! Thank you for sharing this great recipe! I can't wait to try it, I know it will be a huge hit!

    I'll have to check out "Bo's Bowl" I already follow Pam! Man, can that woman cook! Love her blog too!

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing the Malva pudding recipe from South Africa. It seems like you tried as hard as you could to make it close as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG it looks so good...this is fat-free right? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. My mother use to make this for me a lot, it is pretty much my favourite South African Dessert, I have made this pudding a couple of days ago and have savoured it till this morning. My Australian partner loves this dessert as well

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a South African dessert!

    ReplyDelete