Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Cake Mix Tips


There are a lot of people who criticize the use of cake mixes for recipes instead of baking one from scratch.  With today's busy lifestyles, not everyone has the time to do that.  Why heap guilt on someone who is too tired or too busy to do so?  I know my nieces don't care if they help their mom make a cake from scratch or a box as long as they get to lick the beaters. 

Many bakeries and restaurants use cake mixes.  I met a baker at a cooking demo a couple of years ago; he had interned at one of the bakeries that made Princess Diana's wedding cake.  He told me that they used cake mixes occasionally in that bakery.  If it is good enough for one of Princess Diana's bakers, it is good enough for me!

When a cake mix lists water in the instructions, try swapping the water out with one of the below ingredients.

1. Use milk instead.  You can even use chocolate milk.  It will make the cake denser

2. Use lemon lime soda, cola, root beer, or other flavors of soda pop.

3. Orange juice

4. Lemonade

5. Fruit Punch or Kool-Aid



My new cookbook is available at schools, businesses, hospitals, and book fairs in cities across the United States.  Be sure to pick up a copy or two, when you see them.  They make great gifts!

Check back on Friday,
for my Easy Banana Bread recipe

Follow me on my Facebook page!

Visit my friends blogs!

GINGERLOCKS' KITCHEN, has become one of your favorite blogs! Stop by Jordan's blog and take a peek! 

Also visit my friend Pam's blog, Pam's Midwest Kitchen Korner,  for more great recipes!  Once you read her blog, she will be your friend too!

3 comments:

  1. What's the difference? I doubt if I, or most people, could tell. Thanks for the tips and I will definitely try one the next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cheat a lot and use boxed cake mixes. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have no problem with cake mixes. That's how many people get the courage to even start out trying.

    ReplyDelete